Our Menopause Clinic provides diagnosis, treatment and advice for women experiencing difficulties during the menopause or perimenopause (10 years before menopause).
The menopause is sometimes known as the 'change of life' and is marked by the ending of menstruation (periods).
The average age of the natural menopause is 51 years, but it can occur much earlier or later. Premature menopause is estimated to affect 1% of women under the age of 40.
Menopausal symptoms, which affect about 70% of women, are believed to be due to the changing hormone levels, particularly oestrogen, and can include:
- Hot flushes and night sweats, sometimes associated with feeling faint or feeling your heart thumping fast
- Vaginal changes, such as dryness and loss of tone
- Difficulty sleeping due to night sweats or mood changes
- Loss of interest in sex (libido), related to vaginal changes, sleep problems or mood changes
- Mood changes such as irritability, depression or anxiety
- Urinary changes
- Long term health problems - osteoporosis (loss of bone density), heart disease, stroke, weakness of the pelvic floor and vaginal muscles
In our menopause clinic we will work with you to deliver the right treatment aimed at alleviating the symptoms and helping you to make a smooth transitional change at this important time of your life. We provide a detailed consultation to assess the suitability of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) and assess the risks and benefits in individual patients. Lifestyle advice and general health advice is also provided.
For more information please contact our enquiry line on 01205 330 118